Tuesday, June 1, 2010

If you have a need...GIVE!

The scripture says "Give, and you will receive. A large quantity, pressed together, shaken down, and running over will be put into your pocket. The standards you use for others will be applied to you."

I don't want the standards of MY giving to reflect poorly on me. I'll be honest...although I am a giver to orphans, charities, mission trip fundraising, missionaries, and child sponsorship to a child in Uganda, I am NOT faithful to my local church like I should be. Lord, have mercy on me!

Here's what I want you to do...give to the 10K in 20 Days adoption fundraiser RIGHT NOW as if you were the one raising funds for your own need. Do unto others like you want them to do to you. Its easy.

Six months ago, we were surprised to learn that one of our former sons through foster care was available for adoption. We had NO idea how we would pay legal fees...not a clue. But we believed it was a call of God to adopt him. And it is. A few months later we learned how much it would be MINIMUM to adopt him...$3,000. Our previous adoptions were paid for by the state of Texas because our children are disabled. We had NO idea how we would pay for that. None.

But a friend of mine suggested we post our financial need on facebook with a link to paypal. I was very hesitant because we all know there are haters out there who LOVE to nitpick every thing we do. I was hesitant to ask because I would LOVE to give rather than receive. But my husband and friends persisted and we had no choice but to reach out to the body of Christ for help.

Do you know who gave? It was NOT family...not a single family member gave. It was a couple of close friends, but mostly it was 1) people I have not seen in 15-30 years who I have reaquainted with through facebook and 2) people I have never met but know through blogworld 3) complete and total strangers. I can tell you without doubt that these people have needs of their own. There were people who gave who are on their knees daily crying out to God for THEIR son or daughter to come....yet they rejoiced with OUR son coming home and gave FREELY out of their need.

Giving out of excess is strangely harder. People I know with excess did not give. It wasn't people who eat out often or have two late model cars or an expensive hobby. It was women who dye and cut their own hair, people who think eating out at chickfila is a special treat, who buy their groceries at Aldi, and count out quarters two days before payday to make it on one last tank of gas to work and back. It was the people in NEED who gave.

When we give in our time of need, we see God *BLOW US AWAY* with financial miracles. He is FAITHFUL and he loves a cheerful giver. He loves it when we give sacrificially! It blesses ME to see my daughter buy a treat for herself and then end up giving most if it away to her little brothers and sisters. Who is blessed? SHE IS because she knows the joy of giving.

I am asking you today from all sincerity to PLEASE go over to donate $1 or $5 or $10 to these families. If if were YOU, wouldn't it be a blessing? Yes, every dollar would matter. If you've donated once or twice before, what will donating again hurt?

Give...because the standards you use for others will be applied to you.

GOD BLESS!!!!


3 insights:

Burkulater said...

I miss your blogs :)

Barry and Amy said...

Hey lady! Haven't been around in a long time... just stopped by and saw that you may be adopting a former foster son! How exciting! Praying God bless you and hoping to hear from you soon!

Michele said...

Haven't been by in ages, but came today and just wanted to say this was an awesome post. Also, went to check on Courtney at Storing Up Treasures (thanks to your post), and found her family in need of prayer - so, praying! God is awesome and nothing is by accident. : )

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates